There are two kind of alien invasions — those that come in with a bang and those that sneak quietly in the back door. In honor of “The Host” premiering in theaters all over the world, I decided to come up with a comprehensive list of some of the best movies about the quiet invasions. Here are those movies:
10. “The Fourth Kind” (2009): After 40 years of unexplained disappearances, an Alaskan resident psychologist unearths terrifying evidence to suggest that her patients may be being abducted by off-world entities. Strange things start happening both in and outside of her office, leading Dr. Abigail Tyler, as portrayed by Milla Jovovich, to believe that she may also be a victim of these abductions.
9. “Body Snatchers” (1993): After reluctantly moving to a military base in Alabama with her parents and younger brother, a girl discovers that aliens are secretly absorbing and cloning bodies.
8. “The Hidden” (1987): Two aliens come to earth; one looking for power and the other looking to thwart those plans. After crashing a stolen car, the malevolent extraterrestrial exits the body of the corpse and enters the body of another. Aided by the benevolent alien, a detective begins a hunt for the other, who has left a trail of blood and destruction in its path.
7. “Dreamcatcher” (2003): Childhood friends reunite for their annual cabin in the woods retreat. Their weekend of male bonding is interrupted by a sickly man. They soon discover that an alien invasion is taking place, an event they’re destined to prevent.
6. “The Invasion” (2007): After a space shuttle explosion, a virus from outer space has contaminated earth. Those that become infected are taken over in their sleep. Two doctors — played by Nicole Kidman and Daniel Craig — find a potential cure, but have to stay awake and alive long enough to manufacture and deliver it.
5. “Invasion of the Body Snatchers” (1978): A parasitic alien has begun duplicating bodies. A small band of people figure out what’s going on and try to blend in with the emotionless body doubles. One by one, they are picked off.
4. “The Faculty” (1998): An unlikely group of teenagers from different cliques suspect that their teachers have become hosts for a hostile takeover. A drug dealing student, Zeke, makes the observation that large amounts of water are required to sustain these creatures. So he comes up with a synthetic compound to dry them up.
3. “The Thing” (2011): Scientists at an Antarctic research site uncover an alien craft deep under the ground. Just outside of the craft is a being from another world frozen in a large chunk of ice. After extracting this bed of ice, a paleontologist is called in to study the melting corpse — which is actually still alive in hibernation.
2. “The Thing” (1982): An American research team in the Antarctic rescues a dog being hunt down by Norwegians. The Norwegians are killed shortly thereafter when their helicopter explodes. Confused by the events, the Americans place the dog in the kennel with the others. Later that night, the stray transforms and begins consuming the other dogs in an attempt to copy them. Eventually, the scientists also become subject to being copied.
1. “They Live” (1988): A construction worker comes across a pair of sunglasses that allow him to see hidden messages in the media and strange beings living among fellow members of society. When the sunglasses are removed, everything goes back to normal. But when the glasses are put back on, the secret reality returns.
Yahoo! Movies http://movies.yahoo.com