I find DVDs and CDs at garage sales, flea markets, stores and pawn shops. I also receive a good number of used movies from friends. Some are scratched or have problems that don’t allow them to work properly. Instead of filling up a landfill, I researched online for ideas that would allow me to do something useful with them. I’d like to share what I found with you. I always modify designs I find to suit my needs. Sometimes the idea is straight forward and at other times it is quite fanciful.
CD/DVD Display Stand
Inspiration for this is from Tiffany Windsor’s creation shown on the FaveCrafts.com website. You will need:
- · Three or four miniature trinket boxes with drawers- matching is preferable, but not necessary.
- · Wood block to glue the boxes together at the back
- · Old CD or DVD
- · Construction adhesive
- · All-purpose cement or adhesive
- · Spray paint, if desired
- · Sequins, ribbons, beads or other embellishments
Place the boxes together and lay the CD or DVD on top. The disc should cover the boxes, but you should be able to open the drawers easily. Try different sized blocks if necessary. Two boxes can be glued together at the back if necessary. Do not glue or paint anything yet.
Experiment with different embellishments to create your perfect design. Once you have everything just right, decorate the boxes. Use the construction adhesive to glue the backs of the boxes to the block. When the adhesive is dry, place the disc on top and glue in place with the all-purpose adhesive. You can paint it first, if needed. Embellish the disc with buttons, beads or other items.
Display Stand Bases Can Be Made From Different Items
A wide variety of items can become your display stand bases. You might be astonished to find that anything you can lay a disc on can be used. Items include:
- · A single trinket box- purchase one or make one from cardboard, chip board, MDF, or other lightweight wood
- · Used candlesticks
- · Small glass goblets or cups
- · Small, decorative jars such as canning or jelly jars- for added effect, fill the jars with different items before gluing the disc on top.
- · Different lengths and widths of PVC pipe- you can paint or stain it any color you wish or use clear pipe. For example, glue a group of ¼” or larger PVC pipe lengths together to create an interesting stand. Use different colors of pipe, including clear.
- · Plumbing findings can make interesting stands- think Steampunk
- · Round wooden balls, marbles, ball-bearings
- · Sewing spools
You can glue strips of rhinestone-studded ribbons, hang beads or other items from the rim of the discs. All you need is your imagination.Top the stand with a candle, clock or other item.
Display your creations around the house, make several and give as party favors or as a gift for someone getting their first dorm, apartment or house.
Source: The author of this article has over 40 years of experience in diverse forms of crafting, designing, and building furniture, outdoor projects and more.
Source: Tiffany Windsor, “Upscaled Cupcake Stand,” FaveCrafts website, no date given