Are you creating a personal or business orientated website or blog? Are you confused by the vast array of web hosting services available in the marketplace today? Selecting a web host is one of the most important choices when designing your website. In order for users to access your site, you must have a location or Internet “address”. To achieve this you will need to utilize the services of a web hosting company.
A quick online search for a web host brings a flood of companies advertising all kinds of plans, packages and incentives to encourage the buyer to purchase their services. While there are many reputable and trustworthy web-hosting companies to choose from, there are many that deliver less than they promise or are outright scams. Web hosting review sites can help you sort out the best web hosting company for your unique needs.
The time invested in thoroughly researching and evaluating potential web hosts will save you time and “hair pulling” in the future. There is nothing more frustrating than selecting a company that does not live up to their promises, requires high cost add-ons or does not offer an anytime money back guarantee should you become disenchanted with their services. It takes time, money and extensive effort to find another host and move your domain name and data.
In web hosting evaluation, reputation is everything. When reviewing hosting options, asking the following questions can help cut through the hyperbole to make a wise and informed choice.
- Does the host offer the services you need to successfully manage your website? If you are launching a personal site with ten pages or less, one of the cheap hosting plans may be all you need. Avoid the sites that offer free hosting. You will be bombarded with unwanted e-mail and your site will be covered with advertising placed to produce revenue for the hosting company. The site will appear cluttered and busy, detracting from your content.
- Does the company offer features like unlimited e-mail accounts, unlimited broadband, scripting, unlimited sub domains, secure credit card processing, a shopping cart, log analysis and a user friendly control module?
- What assurance can the web host offer that you data will remain safe and secure in the event of a natural or manmade disaster? A massive amount of personal and confidential information in exchanged over the Internet. How is your data protected from hackers?
- What is the web host’s percentage of uptime? Is there a predictable schedule for maintenance? Is customer service and technical support available 24/7? Problems can arise at anytime. If you have a problem on a weekend, you can’t afford to wait until Monday to fix it. When you call with a question, do you speak to a “real live person” or is your call directed to an automated system? Who would you rather call when you have a problem?
- Does the web hosting company provide sufficient disk space and broadband width to store all the images, videos, music, data and text your website or blog will generate?
Reading valid consumer reviews will help you to shorten your list. From your list, select the web hosting company that best meets the needs of your objective goal and has satisfactorily answered your most pressing questions.